Saturday

Discussing Fishing Conservation

Isn’t it great that so many folks are concerned about catch and release? This has been a good thing.

I’ve spent hours talking to folks about pinching down barbs, the woes of treble hooks, bait fishing, invasive species, fishing spawning runs and so many things that may or may not negatively impact our fisheries. These concerns are to be commended, right?




Chances are you too have engaged in some of these types of conversations. Usually if the person is strongly against something they don’t do it.

You won’t find a person animate about fair hooking fish using the Moffit System. Maybe that was a bad example but I think you know what I mean. Heck, there are folks that think fishing anything less than 5X is just wanton killing of fish.

Isn’t it odd…There seems to be no end to what one person thinks is correct and the other thinks is near criminal when it comes to fly fishing.

I do several presentations every year for clubs and the like. Ethics is always a topic of conversation at these events. I listen to questions and concerns over our fisheries.

I hear conversation that is all directed towards regulatory changes needed to make the local fishery better. Make no mistake these are great things and I am very glad that people are engaging in dialog to promote habitat and healthy fisheries.

Then I ask the tough question. The one no one is expecting. The one no one thinks will be asked. The type of question that only ol’ Jeff would ask, you know the ones that make you squirm.

“How many of you have the 1-800 number or any number programmed into your cell phone for your local Game Warden or Conservation Officer???”

Oh my! You would think I told a “Farmers Daughter” joke from the pulpit during Alter Call. Some stare in disbelief. Some get the “dear in the headlights” look. Some immediately look down.

A few have looked downright angry as if I’d done something wrong in raping their illusion of a personal phony messiah complex. All too few realize what I’m trying to get at with the question.

 I think it rich with irony how we will criticize some other fellows legal form of angling and not have the often toll free number to report violators. We proudly display our “Zero Tolerance Catch and Release” stickers but couldn’t call the law if we saw someone breaking it to the harm of the fish we boldly acclaim to protect. You just can’t make this stuff up…

Now before I make anybody upset, let me clearly state that I have certain beliefs about what fair angling is just like the next guy. As a traveled angler, I have a lot of ideas about what is fair angling.

I always want to know what the local ethics are and abide by those as well. Rest assured I always carry my ethics with me wherever I go. I always stay within the law.

One thing I know for sure is our fisheries people are the best they’ve ever been. Nearly all states realize the potential from revenues generated by sportsmen.

The best fisheries departments are all about self-sustaining fisheries. These are a real financial cash cow. Once the fishery is healthy and reproducing all you have to do is monitor and police it, minimal expenditure for maximum return.

Oh yeah!!! States all over the country are getting in on this. There are still problems out there but with awareness things continue to change in the fish’s favor.

I said all that to say this, regardless what I think fair angling is I support the laws as they stand. If I disagree with a law then I challenge that law through the appropriate channels.

There is no need to challenge some poor fellow with a copy of the regulations in his pocket, yet many will. Rarely to the fellows face, they usually save their comment until around a bunch of like minded folks.

There’s nothing quite like the addiction of accord!!!  (There’s a lesson there for all you devoutly blue and red folks) So here we are this community of concerned folks about nature and the environment, holding the high ground on the morals of outdoor stewardship.

We give our time and monies to improving our waters. We enjoy the privilege of pursuing our outdoor quests. We do what we want to help, maybe it’s time we do what we have to do. No freedom or privilege will remain so if viewed as duty free. This was once called “civic responsibility”…

I have found while giving presentations that about 2% of us have the ability to report game violations in any reasonable time frame. Wanna help our sport absent your opinion or need for accord? Wanna do it in a way that is assured consensus? Wanna fulfill your personal responsibility to your privileges’?

Find out how to contact your local Game Warden or Conservation Officer and be prepared and committed to doing so should the need arise.

In closing I know there are a number of readers that will think how their Local Officers seem to show little concern. I know there are many of us angered by judges that let violators go.

I can only advise as I did throughout my supervisory career in law enforcement, DO YOUR JOB.  “What or how” anything happens after that, then and only then, have you earned the right to criticize or try to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment